Friday, June 11, 2010

Thank you GM for doing something right for a change.

Thank God General Motors has let me off the hook. Yesterday, one of their marketing mavens in a sudden attack of retartive genius issued a memo in which he directed employees and sales personnel that when referring the Chevrolet to stop calling them “Chevys.” The goal, he said, was “brand consistency.” Perhaps he thought Chevrolet had more of cachet to it than the more plebian Chevy.

I was crushed. This meant I could no longer drive my Chevy to the levy but the levy was dry. Granted, I have neither Chevy nor levy, but that makes no difference. That damn memo deprived me of my freedom to someday have both a Chevy and a levy, whether wet or dry.

And let’s face it, singing:

Drove my Chevrolet
To the roundelay
But the dancers were dead…

doesn’t have the same punch to it.

This morning I learn redemption is mine! GM issued a “Boy-did-we-screw-that-one-up” memo in which they said, “Hell, yes. Go ahead and use Chevy ‘till your teeth fall out.

Could it be that the company is starting to realize that there’s a public out there it has to be responsive to? That could be a breakthrough.

In the meantime, does anyone know where I could pick up a used levy?