Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Believing in Belief Absolutely

Dear George,

The best absolute truths are those grounded in make believe. Reality makes for a poor absolute because reality is constantly changing, while make believe remains constant. If I base my belief that the world is flat on a realistic assessment of the actual shape of the word, I will be forced to flip-flop as soon as new data proves me wrong. If, however, I base my belief on divine revelation, then my belief is remains constant, no matter how rabid the ravings of scientists and experts.

Absolutes make for exciting diplomacy because diplomacy is impossible when driven by absolute values. If my belief is absolute, then the compromises required by diplomacy become impossible, and it is only a matter of time before I start bombing the shit out wedding parties in any country that doesn’t share my values.

An example of one of these absolutes is our belief that a symbiotic relationship exists between capitalism and democracy (though we aren’t sure which one is the parasite and which one is the host.) This is an effective absolute because it has no basis in historical reality. Capitalism thrived in America because governors and presidents were quite willing to call out troops and police to beat and shoot striking workers.

Your neocon minions want to see America governed by absolute values such as feral capitalism and religious fundamentalism. This explains why KBR is building all those camps to hold “illegal immigrants.” It is only a matter of time before a country governed by absolutes must “reeducate” any and all who don’t share these absolutes. Often times, this reeducation requires beaming a dissident up to heaven for a fact-to-face sit down with God.

A fervent belief in an absolute truth is symptomatic of madmen, and without madmen, history would be dull and dry. Madness is the dynamic that drives civilization.

Your admirer,
Belacqua Jones

4 comments:

Mark Prime (tpm/Confession Zero) said...

Madness! Madness! Madness! I love me some madness! Now where the hell did I put my lithium?

“Love is a smoke made with the fume of sighs.
Being purged a fire sparkling in lovers eyes,
being vexed a sea nourished with lovers tears,
What is it else?
A madness most discreet,
A choking gall and a perserving sweet.”

Case Wagenvoord said...

...and the will to power is love repressed.

Mark Prime (tpm/Confession Zero) said...

Yes. It is rumored that Shakespeare used a pipe every once in a while, too... Could Belacqua be WS (minus all the iambic pentameter) reincarnated? :>)

Case Wagenvoord said...

I doubt it. His iambs are too pent up.